Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Color Gradation Work

This year I started my internship for my Montessori Certificate. I am so excited to be in the classroom and to start implementing all that I have learned in my Child Development courses and my Montessori classes. Part of my Montessori internship requires me to create monthly work for the classroom. I get really into creating work. I found this work idea on Pinterest. It is called Color Matching Gradation. I think of it as an extension to Color Box III. The basic idea of this work is to match the colors according to their gradation. Gradation can be a very challenging concept for the preschool child, so this work can help scaffold the child by providing a control of error.  

Here is what it looks like on the shelf. 

To make this work, you need these supplies: paint samples, wooden cubes, tape, scissors, and a tray.  I went to Home Depot for the paint samples and picked out nine colors that match Color Box III.  The wooden cubes came from Hobby Lobby, and were really my only expense to make this work. I think it was $3.99 for 24 cubes. I cut the paint samples into 2" stripes to use as the matching chart. Next I cut the left over paint samples into squares to tape on top of the wooden cubes. And wah lah! A cute and fun work for sensorial! I have found that this work is excellent for three and a half year olds.  It keeps them focused for an extended period of time, it develops their visual sense, and even strengthens their fine motor skills.  


Before the cubes are matched. 


After the cubes are matched. 

No comments:

Post a Comment